If you’ve learnt Chinese herbal medicine and Chinese isn’t your first language, kudos to you -because the Chinese language is not easy especially when you’re combining medical knowledge! It gets even more confusing when herbal formulas are often described as San, Tang and Wan interchangeably. For example: Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan or Jia Wei Xiao Yao San (Free and Easy Wanderer).
Here’s a table to clarify the difference between San, Tang and Wan:
|Pian (片)||Pian refers to tablets. By using a tablet press or tabletting machine, we can make tablets out of our concentrated herbal granules. This is an easy and convenient way for your patient to take their herbs.|
|Tang (汤)||Broth, soup or decoction - Tang describes the soup produced when dry herbs are boiled.|
|San (散)||Concentrated granules or powders - this is a modern form of herbs which have been readily processed and require only the addition of hot water. San formulas are quick and easy to use, perfect for the modern individual.|
|Wan (丸)||Wan refers to tea pills. The herbal formula is simmered until concentrated, then it is formed into small balls that are often black in colour. This is a common format used by supplement manufacturers in Asia.|
|Gao (膏)||Gao means syrup or paste. By simmering the herbs (Ao/熬), you can produce your own syrups by using honey or you can make a thick paste for skin disorders.|
So Chai Hu Shu Gan Tang refers to the herbal “soup” or “decoction” and Chai Hu Shu Gan Wan refers to the tea pills.
Phoenix Medical Dispensary
At Phoenix Medical, we run a fully comprehensive dispensary where we produce herbal formulas on demand. We have hundreds of dried herbs and concentrated herbal granules to build a formula from. What’s more, we also have a variety of formats and packaging options available. Qualified herbalists can sign up for a practitioner account and start building formulas in our online ordering system.
Why choose Phoenix to dispense your herbs?
• Free next day delivery for all orders placed before 2:30 pm (U.K. orders only)
• Largest range of over 600 dry herbs and concentrated herbal granules
• An efficient online-ordering system has an instant price calculation
• Customised labels with your clinic logo so your brand is presentable throughout your patient’s treatment process
• Flat pack re-sealable zip lock packaging as they are more space efficient and easy to deliver through letterboxes, so your patient doesn’t have to wait around for the postman
• Variety of prescriptions and solutions available to suit the needs of your patient
For more information about herbal formulas and our Chinese herbal dispensary, please email email@example.com or visit the Chinese Herbal Dispensary website.