If you start to feel unwell and begin to experience cold, flu or even COVID symptoms, you might seek home remedies to help you manage the symptoms. Home remedies may be effective at helping to treat the symptoms. Many Chinese herbs can be used for cooking, as well as for medicinal purposes. Dr YouJun Wang, Chairman of the Academic Committee of the FTCMP, has developed a healthy broth recipe for you to try at home if you are feeling unwell.
The broth recipe has been developed to help with coldness, fever, headaches, blocked nose, runny nose, muscular pain, dry/ sore throat or to help calm the stomach.
If you are suffering from the following symptoms, the soup may be beneficial for you:
- Muscular aches
- Dry and sore throat
- Poor appetite
Preparing the ingredients:
- 4 spring onions (Cong Bai) or 1 large leek
- 1 large piece of ginger (Sheng Jiang)
- White or black ground pepper (Hu Jiao)
- Tangerine peel (Chen Pi) – optional
- Garlic – optional
- You will need 4 spring onions or the stem of a leek – it is recommended to keep the hair roots and wash them clean. Cut off the green leaves and cut the spring onion stems into halves or cut the leeks into quarters longways.
- Wash the ginger and keep the skin on then cut it into 5 slices.
Making the soup:
- Put the ingredients into a pan and add one and a half cups of cold water and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until there is around one cup of liquid left. Sprinkle a pinch of white or black ground pepper, stir and stop cooking.
- For the best results, drink the soup when it is warm then rest in bed under the covers. It is beneficial to stay warm and sweat lightly. Try not to get cold as it may worsen the condition.
- If you drink the soup on an empty stomach, add some sugar or honey for a further boost.
- If you have a cough, add some tangerine peel to the soup and add some honey, but not sugar. Sip it warm like a cup of tea.
Ensure your cupboards are always stocked with the above ingredients to make the broth when you are feeling unwell. Feel free to share the method with friends, family, and patients.
Be sure to tag us on Instagram @phoenixtcm if the make the soothing soup!